Sunday, December 29, 2013

Reading Log 2013

My favorite authors that I discovered this year are Mary Kay Andrews (so hilarious!), Sarah Addison Allen (enchanting, hard to put down), and Mitch Albom (very poignant). Quite likely the funniest book I read all year (and maybe ever) was I Don't Know How She Does It by Allison Pearson. I had chanced upon this at the church rummage sale. Now, having reviewed this list, I've decided that I really should look for more books by her!

As always, I enjoy murder mysteries. I have read a few this year including several by new-to-me author, Leslie Meier. While she isn't as fun to read as Joanne Fluke or Donna Andrews, the heroine is one I easily identify with being that she is a busy mom and a part-time writer. Similarly, Laura Levine has created a funny heroine who is also a freelance writer, so I am enjoying her goofy mysteries more and more. In particular, I love when she imparts wisdom in the form of ridiculously punny one-liners such as, "If you ask me, some people shouldn't be allowed into the dating pool without a lifeguard." (Shoes to Die For, page 210) Or, while describing L.A. traffic during rush hour, "Lewis and Clark made better time than I did." (This Pen for Hire, page 176)

One author that I am not sure why I kept reading was Elin Hilderbrand. I guess her characterization is good because it sucked me in every time, but truly, these are depressing books, which are not really my thing. Mostly, I read for escapism, so I prefer lighter fare. On the other hand, it may not be fair to lump all of an author's works together. I had a Nicholas Sparks paperback set aside for our Puerto Rico trip, and I have to say that Safe Haven surprised me. It was very enjoyable, and for once, it had a happy ending. It almost makes me want to give him another try. Almost.

And just in case you worry that I read too much fluff, I would like to point out that I read my fair share of non-fiction. You may notice, for example, that I spent all summer reading books on the craft of writing. I can only hope that this will help me move forward with writing as a career!

I am a bit sad that I only just learned of the existence of goodreads.com this past October. How did I not know about this before?! Anyway, here is the complete list of books I read in 2013. I am way ahead of last year's list, which was a goal of mine.

  1. Mini Shopaholic by Sophie Kinsella
  2. I've Got Your Number by Sophie Kinsella
  3. The Baffled Parent's Guide to Stopping Bad Behavior by Kate Kelly
  4. Hissy Fit by Mary Kay Andrews
  5. Tickets to Success: Techniques to Lead Children to Responsible Decision-Making by Jim Fay
  6. Savannah Blues by Mary Kay Andrews
  7. Little Bitty Lies by Mary Kay Andrews
  8. Savannah Breeze by Mary Kay Andrews
  9. Deep Dish by Mary Kay Andrews
  10. The Fixer Upper by Mary Kay Andrews
  11. Summer Rental by Mary Kay Andrews
  12. Candy Cane Murder by Joanne Fluke
  13. 101 Kid-Friendly Plants: Fun Plants and Family Garden Projects by Cindy Krezel
  14. Easter Bunny Murder by Leslie Meier
  15. Spring Fever by Mary Kay Andrews
  16. World Class Marriage: How to Create the Relationship You Always Wanted with the Partner You Already Have by Patty Howell and Ralph Jones
  17. Some Like It Hawk by Donna Andrews
  18. I Don't Know How She Does It by Allison Pearson
  19. Barefoot by Elin Hilderbrand
  20. Silver Girl by Elin Hilderbrand
  21. A Summer Affair by Elin Hilderbrand
  22. The Castaways by Elin Hilderbrand
  23. Summerland by Elin Hilderbrand
  24. The Love Season by Elin Hilderbrand
  25. Young House Love: 243 Ways to Paint, Craft, Update & Show Your Home Some Love by Sherry & John Petersik
  26. The Girl Who Chased the Moon by Sarah Addison Allen
  27. Bookends by Liz Curtis Higgs
  28. Safe Haven by Nicholas Sparks
  29. Just Down the Road by Jodi Thomas
  30. Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen
  31. The Sugar Queen by Sarah Addison Allen
  32. Thanksgiving Prayer by Debbie Macomber
  33. A Handful of Heaven by Jillian Hart
  34. The Peach Keeper by Sarah Addison Allen
  35. The Renegade Writer: A Totally Unconventional Guide to Freelance Writing Success by Linda Formichelli and Diana Burrell
  36. 102 Ways to Earn Money Writing 1,500 Words or Less by I.J. Schecter
  37. Writer's Market (2014) -- sections (I feel this counts because I plugged away at it for several days... and to be fair, it is the size of a large phone book! Besides, a person only needs to read the sections that are relevant to her. The rest would be a waste of time.)
  38. The Business of Writing for Children by Aaron Shephard
  39. Story Sparkers: A Creativity Guide for Children's Writers by Debbie Dadey & Marcia Thornton Jones
  40. Creating Characters Kids Will Love by Elaine Marie Alphin
  41. The Writer's Guide to Crafting Stories for Children by Nancy Lamb
  42. Peter and the Starcatchers by Dave Barry and Ridley Pearson
  43. The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom
  44. Shoes to Die For by Laura Levine 
  45. Unglued: Making Wise Choices in the Midst of Raw Emotions by Lysa TerKeurst
  46. Peter and the Shadow Thieves by Dave Barry and Ridley Pearson
  47. Peter and the Secret of Rundoon by Dave Barry and Ridley Pearson
  48. For One More Day by Mitch Albom
  49. Turkey Day Murder by Leslie Meier
  50. Family Blessings by Fern Michaels
  51. Owe It to the Wind by J.R. Armstrong
  52. Christmas Cookie Murder by Leslie Meier
  53. Truly, Everything by J.R. Armstrong
  54. Wedding Day Murder by Leslie Meier
  55. Tippy Toe Murder by Leslie Meier
  56. Hokus Pokus by Fern Michaels
  57. Birthday Party Murder by Leslie Meier
  58. Back to School Murder by Leslie Meier
  59. Duck the Halls by Donna Andrews
  60. Christmas Bliss by Mary Kay Andrews
  61. This Pen for Hire by Laura Levine
  62. Beg (ga) (he) r by J.R. Armstrong

No comments:

Post a Comment