Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Chicken & Cheese Tortellini Stew

This is a current family favorite at our house. Well, to be more precise, it pleases 3 out of 4 family members every time I serve it, and let's face it -- that is a better rating than most politicians get, so how can I possibly hope for better? I have adapted the recipe somewhat by omitting red peppers and onions, which are not something the kids (or I, to be honest) love to eat. Also, in place of the summer squash, you may use zucchini, but the squash has a nice flavor and lends more color to the dish, so this is my preference. Finally, if you're one to plan ahead, the Buitoni brand of cheese tortellini comes in a 2-cup package, which means that you will have enough to make this dish twice.


Ingredients:
  • 2 cups water
  • 1 - 14 ounce can chicken broth
  • 6 cups spinach, torn
  • 1 1/2 cups sliced carrots
  • 1 medium yellow summer squash, diced (or zucchini)
  • 1 cup dried cheese tortellini (I use Buitoni.)
  • 1 teaspoon dried basil
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper (I use a pinch.)
  • 2 cups cooked chicken, diced
Directions:
  1. Cook your chicken. I used one very large, boneless, skinless breast, which I cut into strips and cooked in about a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil. For a shortcut, use left over rotisserie chicken.
  2. In a large pot, combine water and chicken broth. Bring to a boil.
  3. Stir in the vegetables, tortellini, basil, oregano, and black pepper. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
  4. Add cooked chicken. Replace cover and cook for an additional 5 minutes, or until tortellini and vegetables are tender. Makes about 4-6 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment