Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Super Undies to the Rescue!

When Mia turned 5 in January, we decided to stop buying Pull-Ups and see if she could stay dry at night on her own. Statistically speaking, most kids will stay dry at night at this age, but given family history, we knew this was iffy. That's why we hadn't pushed the issue. We tried going without Pull-Ups for perhaps 2 weeks before giving up. Everyone was exhausted from the process of trying to help Mia stay dry. We were waking her up 1-2 times a night, limiting fluids before bed time, offering rewards, everything we could think of, but still having wet beds that were due to her being physically unable to make it through the night. She is that deep of a sleeper. I was tired of washing sheets daily, often 2 sets of them because she would wake up from one accident, have us change the bedding, and then have another accident before morning. It was very discouraging to all involved.

So, we went back to Pull-Ups even though I was not happy about this idea. Unfortunately, Mia was getting what was essentially a diaper rash, and we knew the Pull-Ups were to blame. People who know me know that I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE our cloth diapers for a number of reasons including the fact that they save us so much money and I know they are better for the environment -- two reasons to hate constantly buying Pull-Ups. It didn't take too long before I reached the point of frustration at this wastefulness and researched our other options. The pediatrician gave me a brochure for a potty alarm system, which wasn't recommended for children younger than 6 and it sounded like it would be waking everyone up at night again, so I figured what's the point of spending money on that? The doctor's recommendation was medication, which I was not to thrilled about. Personal experience tells me that this doesn't work so why should I give her drugs that won't make a difference?

This left reusable training pants as our final hope. We had talked to Mia about getting reusable cloth "Pull-Ups" and she was excited about the idea. However, I was skeptical of finding any that could stand up to Mia's super soaking abilities. I am so thankful to have a friend, Jenifer, who suggested Super Undies. She even helped me figure out sizing, which was one thing I wasn't sure about. On the website, I showed Mia the color choices, and not surprisingly, she picked pink and purple. I decided to order 2 nighttime training pants in the large size to start with so she would always have one to wash and one to wear.

After 3 weeks of use, we have had no leaks, (I can't say that for when we were using Pull-Ups) and one very happy little girl. Every night when she puts on her pink and purple Super Undies, she does a little happy dance that she calls the "Tushy Dance." When I asked her why she liked the Super Undies she said, "because they're pink and purple." (Duh, Mom!) Are they better than Pull-Ups? She says yes, "because they don't give me a rash!" They do give her a "bubble butt" since all the absorbent layers make them bulkier than disposable training pants, but she thinks this is hilarious and doesn't mind at all. In fact, I think that's what prompted her to do the "Tushy Dance." Gotta love those absorbent layers!

Super Undies is an awesome product that has saved our sanity as well as Mia's poor bum. My only regret is not knowing about them sooner. We could have skipped Pull-Ups altogether. I plan to order 2 more so that I have enough to wash with diapers twice a week instead of washing daily. I view this as a good investment because they will last us quite a long time, and as it happens, I have a feeling we're going to need overnight trainers for quite a long time. (Sorry, Honey, but this is likely the case.)

No comments:

Post a Comment