Thursday, September 23, 2010

A Real Breastfeeding Kit

If you've delivered a baby in the past few years, you probably received a "breastfeeding kit" before leaving the hospital. I think it is silly that they call it this because the main thing included in the kit is formula. Although, to be fair, both "breastfeeding kits" I have received included an excerpt of The Nursing Mother's Companion by Kathleen Huggins, R.N., M.S., which I consider to be the breastfeeding Bible. While I don't agree with how this information is provided to new moms, The Nursing Mother's Companion is a wonderful tool! I bought and read my copy of this book before having Mia, and I have found it to be invaluable. It includes sections for each stage of nursing, help for common problems, and a handy guide to medications that are safe to use by nursing. Some people assume that because breastfeeding is natural, it should come easily to new moms. Since that isn't always true, I like to include this book when I make my own "breastfeeding kits" as baby shower gifts for friends. (I only make kits when I know that friends are intending to breastfeed because I don't want to be the type of person who pushes my ideals onto others. While I love breastfeeding, feel it is the best thing I can do for my children, and have personally had success with breastfeeding both of my kids, I recognize that it can be hard or impossible for other moms for a variety of reasons.)

Other items I like to include in my real breastfeeding kits include: lanolin (I always used generic because I figure it's all about the same, so why pay extra for a name brand?), breastmilk storage bags (I like Lansinoh since they are good quality, have a space you can write the date and amount on, and are the best value I have found.), and nursing pads (Lansinoh makes my favorite disposable pads, which is usually what I give as a gift, but I also have reusable pads-- I think they were made by Johnson & Johnson, and truthfully, they aren't that wonderful. However, if I had the chance to do it over, I would try some other reusable pads until I found some that were nicer and then stick with those.)

1 comment:

  1. I discovered Earth Mama Angel Baby Nipple Butter shortly before having Sophie, but didn't buy any. The day we came home from the hospital, I made my hubby run out and get some... it is absolute heaven in a jar. LOVED it! Not to be explicit, but I didn't have a single crack until Sophie was 11 months old... the nurses were astounded when I called for advice.

    I used the Medela disposable pads occasionally (didn't really need them often) and really liked them because they were so thin and didn't show like the other ones I tried.

    Hey, I figure it's always great to share tips with other mamas!

    ReplyDelete