Sunday, June 13, 2010

June 13, 2009

Thinking back to one year ago today when we made that trip to St. Joe's in Ann Arbor believing that we were having a baby even though I was only 26 weeks, 5 days pregnant. I can't help but feel thankful that everything turned out okay, and I was able to carry Logan full-term (which I didn't even do for Mia!). That makes it totally worth all the IVs, blood draws, monitoring, and pills.

The doctors and nurses took such great care of me for the 7 weeks that I was in the hospital. I didn't want to leave. I felt that Logan and I were safe there and I was scared to leave at 34 weeks, especially since I had told myself day after day that 7 weeks was the end goal, the best possible outcome for Logan. This is what they told us initially when I went in with the preterm rupture of membranes, that if I somehow managed to stay pregnant that long they would induce me because the risk of infection would outweigh the risk of prematurity at that point. I thought that if I left the hospital without a baby it would be because he was in the NICU not because I was still pregnant. Yes, I put my faith in God, but I also believe in modern medicine!

The doctors cannot explained how the rupture sealed over. It is a very rare thing to happen. All I know is that prayer works and I am thankful for all of the prayers that were said on our behalf. Having a healthy full-term baby after all of that is proof that God heals through the power of prayer.

Even though I was happy to be in the safe zone, I didn't expect to make it another 4 weeks at home. I was sure we would be back at the hospital within a few days, but we hung in there until Dr. Walsh said my blood pressure was too high (170/120 at my checkup) and they needed to induce me. How crazy to think that they had to break my water that had already been broken!

No comments:

Post a Comment